Program/Areas of Interest
Data literacy and statistical reasoning; Math in informal institutions, including zoos, science centers, and aquariums; Online professional development in math and science; Use of video as a source of mathematical data
- INK-12: Interactive Ink Inscriptions in K-12
- INK-12: Teaching and Learning Using Interactive Ink Inscriptions
- Math Momentum in Science Centers
- Math in Zoos and Aquariums
- VISOR: Visualizing Statistical Relationships
Andee Rubin is a mathematician and computer scientist who has been combining expertise in technology design, math education, and artificial intelligence to improve math and science education both in and out of school for over 30 years. She has led projects to build and study software for elementary math education (ink-12.mit.edu), support high school teachers in having students construct infographics (science-infographics.org), use log data to support learning in museums (http://nysci.org/connected-worlds/), consider how mathematics is used in making (mathinthemaking.terc.edu) and study how students and teachers use software tools to visualize data. She was a graduate student in the MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and worked at Bolt Beranek and Newman before coming to TERC in 1990.
- Electronic Quills: A Situated Evaluation of Writing with Computers in Classrooms Andee Rubin and Bertram C. Bruce (1993) . Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Ghosts in the Machine: Women’s Voices in Research with Technology Andee Rubin and Nicola Yelland (eds.) (2002) Ghosts in the Machine: Women’s Voices in Research with Technology . New York: Peter Lang.
- Math that Matters Andee Rubin (2005) Threshold: Exploring the Future of Education
- Strategies for Managing Statistical Complexity with New Software Tools James (Jim) Hammerman and Andee Rubin (2004) Statistics Education Research Journal 3 (2) . 17-41.
- Understanding Data Through New Software Representations James (Jim) Hammerman and Andee Rubin (2006) Thinking and Reasoning with Data and Chance: 68th NCTM Yearbook Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
AERA, NCTM, Member of the Editorial Board: Journal of the Learning Sciences, International Journal of Computers in Math Learning