Join our remarkable team
Shape the next wave of STEM education with TERC. We are a non-profit committed to academic excellence, diversity, equality, and inclusion in our practices and in our mission. Through our partnerships with public and private schools, academia, government, and business, we are revitalizing classrooms, sparking a love of learning, awakening curiosity, and re-envisioning how people experience STEM.
When you begin your career with TERC, you’ll join a friendly collaborative environment dedicated to teaching and learning. You’ll have a variety of cutting-edge technologies right at your fingertips, along with responsive IT support. You’ll be guided by enthusiastic mentors and access exciting opportunities for professional development.
Our location in Cambridge, Massachusetts gives us direct access to some of the most prestigious and innovative research and academic facilities in the world. We occupy a historic restored factory building between Porter and Davis Squares, convenient to public transportation, with walking access to restaurants, shops, and parks. Employee parking and limited guest parking are also available. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance and a 403(b) retirement plan, as well as flexible schedules and a healthy work-life balance.
iSWOOP Senior Scientist (L1)
Job Req. #20-02
Interpreters and Scientists Working on Our Parks (iSWOOP) is a multi-faceted project with 1) professional development for park rangers, 2) development of visual media on park-based scientific topics like amphibians, plants, dunes, and more, and 3) research and evaluation on visitors’ interests 4) dissemination of the model, findings, and deliverables.
The iSWOOP project seeks a senior scientist to work one day a week (minimum) through Dec. 2020. The senior scientist will
- Take the lead on:
The purchase and installation of a thermal camera system at Carlsbad Caverns. This will involve negotiation with the vendor, coordination with NPS staff, planning for its use in visitor programs, and training for rangers. Once equipment is in place, the iSWOOP senior scientist will advise iSWOOP PI’s on conducting a new census of the bats at Carlsbad Caverns. This project includes data collection, analysis, and publication.
- Contribute to the following priorities:
- Disseminating reports to funders and advisors and participating audiences
- Disseminating products, such as iSWOOP short films
- Crafting new proposals or publications with relevant lit reviews, infographics, visual media, and review of outlines or drafts
- Supporting training an elite cadre of park rangers who can train others on iSWOOP approaches, including finding and adapting visualizations, illustrating tables, creating maps, finding relevant animations
The successful candidate will have an advanced degree in biology as well as:
- Experience managing the work of 2 to 6 staff (e.g., administrative assistants, filmmakers, statisticians)
- An established presence in the field, e.g., has Published research papers, reports, chapters, and books.
- Given presentations at national/ international conferences.
- Familiarity with National Park Service staff, protocols and structure
- Served as a reviewer for funding agencies or other organizations.
- Working knowledge of tools & technology
- Is familiar with iSWOOPs digital media and visual assets
- Has experience with thermal camera specs, installation, and maintenance
- Uses common office computer applications (e.g. email, spreadsheets, database, and word processing). Has facility with virtual collaboration tools (e.g., Google docs).
- Has design capacity in Adobe creative suite and Keynote.
- Excellent communication skills
- Maintains a professional and personal tone in email and in collegial interactions
- Communicates about timelines and is flexible with regard to travel and other demands
Project contact: Martha Merson, email@example.com
Start Date: April 10, 2020.
Please note: A strong candidate is under consideration for this position
TERC is actively seeking to diversify its staff and places a high priority on developing a staff that reflects the diverse communities we serve. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.