Program/Areas of Interest
- Program Evaluation
- Professional development
- PreK-12 STEM teaching and learning
- STEM integration with other disciplines
- Informal learning environments
Dr. Eric Hochberg’s research and evaluation work in STEM education draws on professional experience as an upper elementary school teacher and an academic background in education policy.
At TERC, Eric directs evaluation of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Backyard Wilderness educational outreach campaign, and leads external evaluation of two university-based NSF-funded research projects, including a micro-credentialing program aimed at improving high school mathematics and science instruction in a large urban school district, and a design-based research project focused on building coherence across pre-service elementary teachers’ STEM coursework. Eric’s other research and evaluation experience includes exploratory work in the use of robot tools to support young children’s learning in formal and informal settings, as well as projects focused on STEM teacher professional development, mentoring, and induction across a range of grade spans. Eric received specialized training at the University of Pennsylvania in field-based education research and evaluation methods through an Institute of Education Sciences funded research fellowship.
Broadly, Eric is interested in research on, and evaluation of, programs, products, and policies that are designed to support engaging and accessible STEM learning experiences. Under that umbrella, he is most interested in teaching, learning, and professional development related to preK-8 math and science, robots and other educational technologies, STEM integration with other disciplines, and STEM learning in out-of-school contexts. In his spare time, Eric enjoys playing and learning with his young children and volunteering with community organizations.
- B.A. in Psychology, University of Pennsylvania
- M.S.Ed. in Elementary Education, University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D. in Education Policy, University of Pennsylvania
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- American Evaluation Association (AEA)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)