Summer TERC Scholars Program: STEM Education Research through a Social Justice Lens (SJL)
A Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
Conduct an independent STEM education research project this summer with TERC! Each project will have a particular focus on fostering equity in STEM and STEM education and enhancing transformative social justice.
As part of an eight-student cohort, SJL interns will be mentored by TERC principal investigators and their project teams. SJL interns can expect to:
- receive training on essential education research methodologies
- encounter and address critical issues and perspectives of social justice in STEM and education
- receive professional development training to support pathways to graduate school, research careers, and other diverse career options
- interact with other research students at Tufts University through the Visiting Early Research Scholars’ Experiences (VERSE) program
This is an opportunity to nurture long-lasting friendships, develop professional relationships, and engage researchers across multiple STEM disciplines. The SJL is funded through a grant by the National Science Foundation to establish a Research Experience for Undergraduates that will help diversify the field of STEM education research and cultivate the next generation of STEM education researchers.
Program Dates: June 5 – August 11, 2023
Location: Hybrid-program, more details coming soon
Stipend Information: $6,000
Application Opens: November 2, 2022
Application Deadline: January 20, 2023
Selection Process: Those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted from January 16 – March 3, 2023, with the Program Director and prospective mentor. Finalists will be notified by March 17. Internship commitments must be made by March 31.
All students in the program must be U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals or permanent residents of the United States. Students must be entering or continuing in an Associates or Baccalaureate degree program following their summer internship.
Who Should Apply
As part of the National Science Foundation’s commitment to broadening participation in STEM fields, we especially encourage students who come from community colleges, undergraduate-only institutions, and minority-serving institutions (e.g., TCUs, HBCUs, HSIs, etc.) to apply. We welcome all applicants of all backgrounds and identities. We strongly encourage student applications from those with minoritized and/or marginalized backgrounds in STEM. This includes but is not limited to racially and ethnically underrepresented (Black, African-American, Caribbean, LatinX, Asian and Asian-American and Pacific Islanders, Indigenous, etc.), women, LGBTQIA+, first-generation, neurodiverse, disabled, and veteran groups.
GPA Requirement: Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher at their current college by January 2023.
- Online Application Form
- Resume or CV
- REU Application
How to Apply
- REU Application (Please click the hyperlink to download and complete the fillable word document, which contains two essay questions and a list of potential research projects with descriptions to gage your preference/interests.)
- Access Online Application Tracking System (You will be prompted to upload this when you click on the Applicant Tracking System.)
For inquiries about the application process or program, please e-mail our program administrator, Bengisu Onal at email@example.com. Thank you!.