REVEAL Professional Development Program
The REVEAL Responsive Museum Facilitation Program is a video-based professional development program that builds on findings from the REVEAL research study. The program was particularly designed for staff who engage with families and visitor groups through informal, conversational interactions, such as facilitation at interactive exhibits or activity carts. Program leaders or education managers can use the guide with their staff to prompt discussion, reflection, and experimentation around critical issues related to facilitating educational experiences in museums.
This program is intended to help educators:
- Strengthen and deepen their awareness and understanding of the complex dynamics of family learning in museums and how these relate to the role of a museum educator;
- Increase their skills in reflecting on their practice to become more effective facilitators and more insightful museum professionals; and
- Expand their repertoire of strategies for facilitating exhibit-based family learning in museums in a way that honors and responds to the needs and goals of families.
The program is made up of a general introductory session and five topic-based modules that incorporate video of staff-visitor interactions. The REVEAL Responsive Museum Facilitation Guide includes an overview of the REVEAL project, all the necessary educational materials, and facilitation tips for staff members leading the program with colleagues.
The Introductory Materials include Getting Started tips and the introductory session. Each of the topic-based modules can be downloaded separately and includes:
- Links to two videos of illustrative staff-family interactions
- Background readings and video discussion guides
- Articles and resources for learning more about each module topic
- Introductory Materials
- Module 1: Understanding the Family Context
- Module 2: Supporting Intergenerational Communication
- Module 3: Encouraging Exploration and Inquiry
- Module 4: Negotiating Family and Facilitator Goals
- Module 5: Recognizing Expectations and Shared Understandings