Program/Areas of Interest
Uses of technology and multimedia for education; gaming environments for learning; physical science, astronomy, Earth science, and computational thinking education; free-choice and wait-time learning.
- CSTL — the Center for STEM Teaching and Learning
- EdGE — the Educational Gaming Environments group
- Zoombinis Implementation Study
- Escape the Room
- Teachers’ Understandings of Computational Thinking
- FUN: Finnish-US Network
- Investigating Astronomy
- Leveling Up
- Martian Boneyards
- SportsLab: 2020
- Windows on Earth
With a background in astrophysics, mathematics, and education and a Masters Degree from the Harvard Graduate School of Education, with a focus on the use of technology and multimedia in teaching and learning, Teon Edwards has spent over 20 years at TERC developing numerous science curricula, experiences, tools, and games for both formal and informal settings.
She is co-founder of and a lead designer and production manager for the Educational Gaming Environments group (EdGE) at TERC. As part of EdGE, she helped design, develop, run, and research the science-based games Martian Boneyards, Canaries in a Coalmine, Quantum Spectre (as part of Leveling Up), and SportsLab. She’s currently working on computational thinking education, via the game Zoombinis and three different projects: the Zoombinis Implementation Study, CodePlay, and Teachers’ Understandings of Computational Thinking.
She is also the Chair of the Executive Committee for TERC’s Center for STEM Teaching and Learning (CSTL).
- Quantum Spectre — A fun, free-choice laser and optics puzzle-style game available for the iPad, Android tablet, and browser
- Investigation Science Outdoors — a supplementary science curriculum, targeted for grades 7-9, that engages students in authentic explorations of a study site — a small piece of land near their school — available as an eBook from the iBookstore (Teacher Guide and Student Guide)
- Study of Place — a collection of two, approximately two-week-long science modules for middle-school students (grades 5-8)—Antarctic Exploration and Ocean Currents— available as an eBook from the iBookstore (Teacher Guide and Student Guide)
- Investigating Astronomy — the first comprehensive astronomy textbook written specifically for high school students, available from It's About Time
- Astrobiology — a truly integrated high school science textbook, seamlessly weaving biology, chemistry, physics, and Earth and space science throughout the entire curriculum. Available from It's About Time
- Rowe, E., Asbell-Clarke, J., Baker, R., Eagle, M., Hicks, A., Barnes, T., Brown, R., & Edwards, T. (2017). Assessing implicit science learning in digital games. Computers in Human Behavior. DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2017.03.043. Supplementary materials.
- Rowe, E., Asbell-Clarke, J., Bardar, E., & Edwards, T. (2017). Bridging games and classroom science learning. Accepted to appear in the Journal of Research on Science Teaching.
- Rowe, E., Asbell-Clarke, J., Eagle, M., Hicks, A., Barnes, T., Brown, R., & Edwards, T. (2016). Validating game-based measures of implicit science learning. Paper presented at the Ninth international conference on Educational Data Mining, Raleigh, NC.
- Hamari, J., Shernoff, D. J., Rowe, E., Coller, B., Asbell-Clarke, J., & Edwards, T. (2016). Challenging games help students learn: An empirical study on engagement, flow and immersion in game-based learning. Computers in Human Behavior, 54, 170-179.
- Eagle, M., Rowe, E., Hicks, A., Brown, R., Barnes, T., Asbell-Clarke, J., & Edwards, T., (2015, October). Measuring implicit science learning using networks of player-game interactions. Presented at the ACM SIGCHI Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play, London.
- Vieyra, R., Edwards, T., Rowe, E., & Asbell-Clarke, J. (2015). Playing with Science: Using Electronic Games to Foster Inquiry. The Science Teacher, 82(5), 51.
- Rowe, E., Asbell-Clarke, J. & Edwards, T. (2014). Flow & Learning in Quantum Spectre. In E. Rowe & D. Shernoff (Chairs) The Finnish-US Network (FUN): Studying Flow in Educational Games & Gamified Learning Environments. Symposium at the 2014 EDMedia World Conference on Educational Media and Technology in Tampere, Finland, June 23-27.
- Asbell-Clarke, J., Rowe, E., Edwards, T., & Larsen, J. (2013). Leveling Up: Measuring Tacit Science Understanding Through Gameplay. Paper presented at the 2013 NARST Annual International Conference, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico.
- Edwards, T., Bardar, E., Asbell-Clarke, J., & Larsen, J. L. (2013). Quantum Spectre. Paper presented at the Games+Learning+Society 9.0 (GLS 9.0) Conference, Madison, WI.
- Bardar, E., Asbell-Clarke, J., Edwards, T., & Larsen, J. L. (2013). Impulse. Paper presented at the Games+Learning+Society 9.0 (GLS 9.0) Conference, Madison, WI.
- Sylvan, E., Larsen, J., Edwards, T., & Asbell-Clarke, J. (2012). The Canary’s Not Dead, It’s Just Resting: The Productive Failure of a Science-Based Augmented-Reality Game. To be included in the Proceedings of GLS8, June 13-15 2012, Madison, WI.
- Asbell-Clarke, J., Edwards, T., Larsen, J., Rowe, E., Sylvan, E., & Hewitt, J. (2012). Martian Boneyards: Scientific Inquiry in an MMO Game. International Journal of Game-Based Learning, 2(1), 52-76.
- Asbell-Clarke, J., Edwards, T., Larsen, J., Rowe, E., Sylvan, E., & Hewitt, J. (2011, April). Collaborative Scientific Inquiry in Arcadia: An MMO gaming environment on Blue Mars. Paper presented at the American Education Research Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. Winner of AERA ARVEL-SIG Emergent Scholar Award
- Edwards, T., Larsen, J., & Asbell-Clarke, J. (2010). The Martian Boneyards: A Science-Based Game and Research Project in the HD MMO Blue Mars. Paper presented at the Games, Learning, and Society conference, Madison, WI.
- Asbell-Clarke, J. E., Bardar, E. M., Edwards, T. E., & Lockwood, J. F. (2010). Investigating Astronomy. Armonk, NY: It's About Time.
- Edwards, Teon (2009). Learning Biology with a Digital Microscope. Swift Optical Instruments, Inc.
- Edwards, Teon. NOVA scienceNOW Viewing Ideas—First Primates, Capturing Carbon, Profile: Hany Farid, The Search for ET, … June & July 2008.
- Asbell-Clarke, Jodi, et. al. (2006). Astrobiology: An Integrated Science Approach, Armonk, NY: It’s About Time.