Program/Areas of Interest
Life sciences and climate change; Laboratory learning; Learning disabilities
Gilly is currently a co-leader of the Life Sciences Initiative at TERC. This group seeks to understand the nature of students’ encounters with living systems through laboratory experiences. The goal is to develop an integrated K-13 progression in life sciences curriculum and associated teacher professional development.
Gilly is currently the principal investigator of two projects: Biocomplexity and the Habitable Planet and Girls Energy Conservation Corps (GECCo). Biocomplexity is focused on developing a high school capstone course in Ecological Environmental Science, while GECCo engages 8 – 10 year old girls as change agents in energy conservation. She is also currently co-PI of Under the Microscope, Accessing Science Ideas (ASI) and Atlantic Institute for the Biological Sciences. Under the Microscope is examining the published research on life-science laboratory experiences to assess the extent to which teaching the distinctive characteristics of biology is studied and effective; ASI is studying curriculum content enhancements that address the challenges posed by learning life sciences to students with learning disabilities in inclusive classrooms; and Atlantic Institute is a Math-Science Partnership between Salem State College, University of Puerto Rico, TERC and 14 school districts in Massachusetts and Puerto Rico to enhance the teaching and learning of life sciences in grades 7-13.
- A Study of the Literature of Lab-Based Instruction in Biology
—Gillian Puttick, Brian Drayton and Eliza Cohen. American Biology Teacher (2015) 77,1.
- Achieving Energy and Ecological Literacies for All: Linking Ecology and Energy Education. Perspectives from Sessions at Ecological Society of America (ESA) 2014 Annual Meeting
—Leanne M. Jablonski, Kenneth Klemow and Gillian Puttick.The Journal of Sustainability Education, January 2015: Energy Education
- Digital Curriculum in the Classroom: Authority, Control, and Teacher Role
—Gilly Puttick, Brian Drayton, and J. Karp. International Journal on Emerging Technologies in Learning (2015)
- Digital Design of "Smart Images": A Design Story
—Brian Drayton, Gillian Puttick. Educational Designer (2016, in press)
- Girls Energy Conservation Corps: Study of a Girl Scout Program Focused on Energy Conservation
—Gilly Puttick and Debra Bernstein. Paper presented at the National Association for Research in Science Teaching annual meeting (2013)
- It's Not as Bad as Using the Toaster All the Time—Trade Offs in a Scratch Game About Energy Use
—Gillian Puttick, Debra Bernstein, Amanda Strawhacker, and Elisabeth Sylvan
- Learning and Behavior Change in a Girl Scout Program Focused on Energy Conservation: Saving Energy to ‘Save The Planet’
—Gillian Puttick, Kim Kies, Cecilia Garibay and Debra Bernstein. The Journal of Sustainability Education, January 2015: Energy Education
- Lesson Study for Accessible Science: Building Expertise to Improve Practice in Inclusive Science Classrooms
—Karen Mutch-Jones, Gilly Puttick, and Daphne Minner. Journal of Research in Science Teaching. (2012) Volume 49, Issue 8, pages 1012–1034, October 2012.
- Muscles, Lungs, Blood and Guts
—Gilly Puttick and Judith (Judy) Storeygard. Hands On! 30 (2007). 10-19
- Seeding Social Norms About Energy Conservation Among Girl Scouts
—Debra Bernstein and Gilly Puttick. Applied Environmental Education and Communication. (2014) 13(3), 171-182.
- Supporting Science Access for All Students: Using Content Enhancements to Create Pathways to the Big Ideas
—Gilly Puttick, and Karen Mutch-Jones. Science Scope, July 2015
- Under the Microscope: Review of the Research on Biological Lab Experiences 1987-2007: A Research White Paper
—Brian Drayton, Gilly Puttick, and Meaghan Donovan. Cambridge, MA: (2013) TERC, Inc.
- What, where, who? Learning in an Innovate to Mitigate pilot team
—Brian Drayton and Gilly Puttick. A working paper. Cambridge, MA:TERC.
Puttick, G., Drayton, B., Pickett, S. and Berkowitz, A. Environmental Science and Biocomplexity. Mt. Kisco, NY: Its About Time Publishers. (Textbook to appear 2015)
American Education Research Association, National Science Teachers Association, National Association of Biology Teachers, Ecological Society of America, Learning Disabilities Association