Looking for more articles by TERC staff? Search here.
—Closing the Gap, October/November 2015
"An ecosystem has living and nonliving things. I did not know that before." "I found out evolution and change are almost the same."
Are these students talking about what they learned from reading their science textbook, watching a video or taking a field trip? No, they are describing what they learned from the SigningAvatar® characters, the 3-D figures who appear in the Signing Math & Science dictionaries.
Developed by TERC and Vcom3D, the series of nine standards-based signing dictionaries offers K-12 students who are deaf or hard of hearing increased access to science and math content. Available as app and Web versions, they are:
- Signing Science Picture Dictionary (SSP)
- Signing Math Picture Dictionary (SMP)
- Signing Science Dictionary (SSD)
- Signing Math Dictionary (SMD)
- Signing Earth Science Dictionary (SESD)
- Signing Life Science Dictionary SLSD)
- Diccionario de Señas de Ciencias de la Vida (DSCV)
- Signing Physical Science Dictionary (SPSD)
- Diccionario de Señas de Ciencia Física (DSCF)